Years of excellence!Leading in the himalayas since 2000
Call Us+977 9851056339
Years of excellence
Call us: +977 9851056339

Upper Mustang Permit (Latest Updates of 2023)

Upper Mustang Permit (Latest Updates of 2023)

Upper Mustang Permit (Latest Updates of 2023)


Upper Mustang Permit is the most searchable question who are trying to visit. The Cost will be US$500 per person for the first 10 days, then US$50 for each additional day. If you have your photos, passport, and other documents ready, it is simple to obtain Upper Mustang trek permits with the help of a local agency.

Upper Mustang offers all trekkers the opportunity to walk on an ancient Himalayan route while exploring rural life and mountains. To visit the wonderful paradise of Mustang, visitors must obtain a special pass. When you book the upper mustang trek with us, you don’t have to worry about Upper Mustang Permit because our company handles everything.

Things to Know Before Trekking to Upper Mustang

upper mustang trek

Mustang has attracted visitors interested in experiencing the way of life of the mountain people. Upper Mustang is an arid river valley located north-south of the Annapurna Circuit’s upper corner. It is more culturally and geographically similar to Tibet than Nepal, and it once had its own kingdom with the capital at Lo Manthang (the turnaround point of your trek).

This trek, located in the Himalayan rain shadow and officially in one of Nepal’s restricted regions, is known for its desert beauty and harsh, cliff-faced landscapes.

Trekking to Mustang allows travelers to see the heavenly beautiful Trans-Himalaya landscape, ancient Tibetan Buddhist shrines such as Stupas, Chhortens, Kaanis, Prayer walls, centuries-old monasteries, and interact with Tibetan people, making the trip one of a lifetime.

1. This journey cannot be completed on its own. So, remember to plan your trek with the help of a registered local trekking agency.

2. To obtain permits for the Upper Mustang Trek, a group of at least two people is required.

3. If you are only trekking in the Upper Mustang region, you do not need a TIMS card because there are no TIMS checkpoints on the way to Upper Mustang.


Is an upper mustang permit required?

YES! Trekking in Nepal’s Annapurna conservation area requires a special permit, ACAP permit, and TIMS. As a result, ensure that you have all necessary permits and have completed all necessary formalities.

Otherwise, you will be charged twice for ACAP and TIMS checks if you request ACAP permits and TIMS on the way. Restricted area special permits are not available on the road; make sure before embarking on your journey, whether from Kathmandu or Pokhara.

What Permits Do I Require?

Everyone entering the Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) area must obtain an entry permit, which costs $20 per person for a single entry but is valid for the duration of the trek. There are no time limits on how long a person can stay in the ACAP area. Furthermore, anyone going into Upper Mustang (from Kagbeni onwards) needs a RAP (Restricted Area Permit).

For 10 days, this costs $500 per person. If longer is required, an additional $50 per day is charged. Upper Mustang does not require a TIMS or Trekkers Information Management System card because the Restricted Area Permit (RAP) provides details about the trekker and his/her destination in the event of an emergency or problem.

Can I Get a Permit on My Own?

Lower Mustang trekkers can obtain TIMs and ACAP permits directly from the Nepal Tourism Board in Kathmandu and the Tourist Office in Pokhara.

Individual trekkers are unable to obtain the RAP permit for Upper Mustang. In fact, no one can trek through Upper Mustang by themselves. Please keep in mind that an individual guide cannot obtain a permit on behalf of a trekker. RAP permits must be obtained through a Nepal-registered trekking company.

Required for an Upper Mustang Trekking Permit:

During the process for an Upper Mustang Trekking permit, you will need the following requirement:

1. Passports must be valid for a minimum of six months.

2. When applying for the Upper Mustang Permit, an original passport and a current visa are required.

3. The cost is $500 per person for 10 days, with an additional $50 per person per day.

4. A scanned copy of your passport-sized photo is required.

5. There must be at least two trekkers in the group.

6. The permit must be obtained through a Nepal-registered trekking company, and trekkers must travel with them.

Upper Mustang Trekking Permit Terms and Conditions

We have outlined the terms and conditions, as well as the considerations for obtaining the Upper Mustang Trekking permit:

1. A permit fee is not required for children under ten, so it is free.

2. Entry permits can be obtained only from designated offices in Kathmandu and Pokhara, not from checkpoints along the trekking trail.

3. When entering the Annapurna Conservation Area, you must follow the National Park and Wildlife Conservation Act of 2029 B.S. (1973)

4. You must carry the entry permits with you throughout the trek and show them at checkpoints as and when required by the concerned officials.

5. Both permit fees include Value Added Tax (VAT) and other government taxes.

6. Permit holders are only permitted to enter the conservation area and restricted area.


How much time does it take to obtain an Upper Mustang trekking permit?

The ACAP will be issued in about an hour. At the same time, the RAP could take 2 to 3 hours to issue. Your hired trekking agency will handle this and ensure that the permits for the trek are received on time.

Do you require a guide for your Upper Mustang Trek?

Because access to the Upper Mustang region is limited, a licensed professional guide is required. Despite the lack of significant high passes, the trail remains poorly defined. Taking a guide also makes it safer and easier. You will be able to communicate with the locals and learn about their history, ethnicity, traditions, and much more. Hiring a guide also helps the Nepali economy and raises their standard of living.

Can you complete the Upper Mustang trek on your own?

The trek cannot be completed alone due to the Upper Mustangs’ restricted status. A minimum of two trekkers (including one guide) are required for the trek. If you don’t have a group, you can hire an agency to pair you with a guide or a larger group.

Is a TIMS card required for Upper Mustang Trekking?

If you have a Restricted Area Permit (RAP), you do not need to obtain a TIMS card to trek in that area. So, TIMS is only required for trekking in Upper Mustang.

However, if you intend to extend your trek to Jomsom, Annapurna Base Camp, or continue your trek to the Lower Mustang after completing your Upper Mustang Trek, a TIMS card is required.

In End

To issue entry permits for Upper Mustang, you will need a copy of your passport, a Nepalese visa, itinerary details, two passport-sized photos, and approximately 530 USD for both RAP and ACAP permits. Keep in mind that you cannot travel alone or without a guide.

You don’t have to worry about it if you travel with an agency. They will take care of everything before you arrive in Nepal. To apply for the Upper Mustang Permit, you must hire a reputable professional trekking agency in Nepal.

Companies like Adventure Mountain Club are experts at planning and organizing trips in Upper Mustang, as well as obtaining the necessary two permits quickly and easily. As a result, please get in touch with our representatives to begin this once-in-a-lifetime journey.